• The chapman-beverley mill is currently closed

    We are currently closed to allow for road improvements. Please check back for further details.

  • About our site

    At the border between Fauquier and Prince William Counties, the Chapman-Beverley Mill cuts an imposing figure against its wooded backdrop. The massive five and one half story structure, originally built in 1742, is thought to be the tallest stacked stone building in the United States. The mill supplied food through five wars, but was gutted by fire in 1998. Today, though the arson left the structure a ruin, the stabilized mill walls and the mill store still stand as a reminder of the history of milling in Northern Virginia.

  • Contact us

    Our physical address:

    17504 Beverley Mill Drive
    Broad Run, VA 20137

     

    Our mailing address:
    P.O. Box 207
    Broad Run, VA 20137

    Our business address:

    4250 Loudoun Avenue
    The Plains, VA 20198

    17504 Beverley Mill Dr, Broad Run, VA 20137
    5402535888
  • Social feed

    The easiest way to see what we are up to is to follow us on Facebook or Instagram!

  • Turn the mill around events

    Due to site construction, there are no events currently planned.

  • Contact Us

    You can contact us via the form below or email us at chapmanmill@gmail.com!

  • Fees

    4 Hours - $50.00
    Full Day - $100. 00

     

    To obtain a permit, please download our Special Use Contract, fill it out and email the completed forms to chapmanmill@gmail.com.

     

    All proceeds benefit the continued preservation of the Historic Chapman – Beverley Mill.

  • Shop Now

    Check out our products.

  • Our Mission

    ​The Chapman / Beverley Mill is operated by the Turn the Mill Around Campaign (TTMAC), a non-profit 501c3 organization. The mission of the TTMAC is as follows:

    • To preserve the Chapman / Beverley Mill
    • To provide public access to the Mill site
    • To develop interpretive programs concerning the significance of the Mill and Thoroughfare Gap
    • To raise funds to carry out these goals
  • The master plan

    Take a look and enjoy!

    Since TTMAC received the Chapman – Beverley Mill property shortly after the 1998 arson that nearly destroyed the structure, the campaign has striven to both preserve the Mill and make it accessible to the public. Our first order of business was to stabilize the Mill structure. With stabilization completed in the mid-2000’s, we looked to discover more about the site through archaeology. Now, with our archaeological survey underway, we seek to share all we’ve learnt with the public!

     

    Beginning in Fall 2016, TTMAC began improving the Mill site by installing a bus turnaround area and handicapped parking area. When that work is completed, we anticipate adding walking paths, informational signage and hopefully increasing hours of access.

     

    Help us make the plan a reality. Donate today!

  • Board of directors

    Charles H. Seilheimer, JR.

    Board Chairman

    Mr. Seilheimer was founder, president, and CEO of Sotheby’s International Realty Corporation, the largest marketer of luxury residential estate and farm property in the world. He and his wife, Mary Lou, are collectors of American paintings and furniture of the 18th and 19th centuries and reside at Mount Sharon Farm, outside Orange, where they have created extensive gardens, open by invitation to groups and the public. Mr. Seilheimer has served in numerous business and charitable boards reflecting a broad range of interests in the arts, education, conservation, and history. The Seilheimers have two children, Anne (Mrs. Joshua P. Prentice) of New York City, and Charles (Nora) of Charlottesville, Virginia, and four grandchildren.

    Andrea Currier

    Preservationist and Community Developer. Andrea took possession of Mill building remains in 1998 and founded Turn The Mill Around Campaign to secure the history of the Mill’s service to the communities of Fauquier and Prince William counties.

     

    Earl H. Douple, Jr.

    Treasurer

    Mr. Douple has been the business manager and secretary-treasurer of Canopy, Inc. a personal services firm, and The Plains Redevelopment Corporation, a real estate holding company, both located in The Plains, VA, since 1985. In addition to receiving his BA from Dickinson College, Mr. Douple holds a LLM from Georgetown University and a MBA from The Darden School, University of Virginia. His thirty-five years of professional experience include tax, estate and financial planning, asset management and allocation of financial holdings among various asset classes. Earl is the father of two daughters and lives with his wife in The Plains VA.

    Adrienne Cook Garreau

    Adrienne serves on the Fauquier County Planning Commission. She has served on several boards, including Citizens for Fauquier County, the Piedmont chapter of the Virginia Native Plant Society and the Hill School Arboretum. For 30 years she wrote the Backyard Garden column for The Washington Post. Adrienne is the mother of two daughters and lives with her husband in Broad Run VA.

    DR. STEPHEN SEAGER

     

  • Stabilization Progress

    The Chapman/ Beverley Mill stabilization project was a unique and valuable undertaking in the field of historic preservation. TTMAC has chosen to preserve the Mill as a ruin site, showcasing the architectural, engineering and historic elements of the building as it stands after the fire of 1998. Cutting-edge technology was used for the structural stabilization of the mill building. An internal anchoring system, developed in Europe for historic masonry buildings, was successfully implemented in Phase I of the project by Cintec America. Completed in May 2004, Phase I included the structural stabilization of the south wall (actually seven stories high and in the worst condition) and corners, lead capping on all upward facing surfaces of the entire building and emergency shoring of all window openings (49 total).

     

    The engineering for the stabilization of the north, east, and west walls was completed in the spring of 2006. The contractors chosen for this specilaized historic preservation project are experts in their fields. They are Cintec America, Inc. – Structural Anchoring Systems, Conservation Solutions, Inc. – Project Management, Standard Restoration and Waterproofing – Masonry and Scaffold Resource, Inc. – Scaffolding. Phase II stabilization of the last three walls was completed by July 2006.

     

    Chapman-Beverley Mill is believed to be the tallest stacked stone building in the United States

  • Visit the mill

  • Site rules

    Please be mindful that the Chapman-Beverely Mill is an active archaeological site and historic building.

    1

    No climbing the rocks or walls.

    2

    No swimming.

    3

    Photography is by permit only.

    4

    Gates close promptly at 5PM.

  • Make Your Own Section!

    Add and rearrange any components you want.

    Thoroughfare Gap

    Thoroughfare Gap is a narrow passage between Bull Run and Pond Mountains, through which Broad Run flows as it descends 87 feet. The Gap was used by migrating buffalo and traveling American Indians long before it became a transportation corridor for grain and goods between the Valley and the Atlantic. Mention of the Gap was first recorded in 1697, by a group of Marylanders passing through in search of a band of Piscataway Indians. Later, Tidewater planters used the Gap as a route to the rich Shenandoah Valley.

    During wartime its use became even more strategic: it was an escape route during the French and Indian War, during the Revolutionary War it was the route east to join the army, and during the Civil War, it was a strategic passageway for both armies. At the time of the Spanish-American War in 1898, 10,000 American troops were stationed at the Gap to avoid a typhoid epidemic in Camp Alger near Falls Church.

     

    For many years, the Gap has been a major east-west thoroughfare. Today, Interstate 66 takes thousands of people east and west in their travels, many commuting to the Washington, DC area to work. These travelers are able to see the charred walls of the mill. Hopefully, in the future they will be able to stop, safely explore the stabilized ruins and learn more about the mill and the surrounding area.

    Chapman's Mill

    Chapman’s Mill was built in 1742 by Jonathan and Nathaniel Chapman, a father/son partnership from an enterprising, well-connected colonial family. Enlarged in 1758, the mill became a prosperous gristmill that fostered the development of the Shenandoah Valley as a wheat and corn producing region for the next one hundred years. Due to the mill’s location between the Valley and the city of Alexandria, corn and wheat could be transported efficiently by wagon to the mill, ground into cornmeal and wheat, and then shipped from Alexandria to ever-expanding markets in Europe and South America.

     

    In 1759, Fauquier County was created from old

    Prince William County, and the related documents noted that the boundary between the two counties passed through the mill, as it does today. The prosperity of the mill was enhanced in 1852 when the Manassas Gap Railroad was completed, passing beside the mill and reducing the travel time to Alexandria. In 1858, the Chapman’s enlarged the mill, raising it to a total of seven stories and making it a model of agricultural technology.

    The Civil War

    By July of 1861, Confederates had turned Chapman’s Mill into a meat curing warehouse and distribution center. Herds of cattle and pigs were enclosed in large pens, and more than two million pounds of Confederate meat were stored on the site. Confederates, leaving after the First Battle of Manassas, burned the meat and the mill to keep them from the advancing troops.

     

    On August 28, 1862 Union General Ricketts was ordered to occupy Thoroughfare Gap to prevent Generals Lee and Longstreet from marching through the Gap and joining Confederate troops gathering for the Second Battle of Manassas. Historians say that if Ricketts had prevailed at the Battle of Thoroughfare Gap, which took place in and around the mill, the Second Battle of Manassas would never have taken place.


    During much of the Civil War, Col. John S. Mosby and his Raiders traversed Thoroughfare Gap as they sought to disrupt the movement of Union provisions to their armies in the South.

    From Beverley to Chrysler

    By 1876, the Beverley family had restored the ruins to a very successful milling operation and the mill took on their name. During the Beverley’s ownership, the mill produced plaster, cornmeal and feed. In 1896, the business was sold to Hornbaker and Wolverton who added facilities for grinding flour. They sold to William Jordan in 1901 who, in turn, sold to Charles Furr, Jr. in 1903.

     

    Under Furr, the mill gained modern flour milling equipment and a Fairbanks Morse diesel engine which could be used to power the operation during dry spells. The Furr family also oversaw the building of a small mill store circa 1934 from which meal and gasoline could be sold. Unfortunately, the improvements that the Furr’s made resulted in financial difficulties which led to the family selling the business to Walter Chrysler in 1946. Chrysler installed electric equipment, but never actually operated the mill due to an inability to comply with FDA regulations.

     

    By the time Chapman’s Mill ceased to operate in 1946, it had ground cornmeal and flour for American troops during seven wars: The French and Indian, the Revolutionary, the War of 1812, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, World War I and World War II.

    Into the 20th Century

    Though the milling business had come to an end, the Mill Store continued to be used as a convenience store and later a post office well into the 20th Century.

     

    In October of 1998, the Chapman Mill fell victim to arson. The Turn the Mill Around Campaign (TTMAC), a 501c3 non-profit organization obtained ownership of the property and began the stabilization and interpretation of the Mill ruins.

  • What is adopt a stone?

    The Adopt a Stone program is a great way to help support Turn the Mill Around Campaign's continuing efforts to preserve the historic Chapman - Beverley Mill!
     
    Stones are available on the South Wall of the Mill and are color coded according to donation level. You can adopt a single stone or a 'Family of Stones.' The choice is yours!
     
    Click Here to view a list of the stones that have already been adopted.

    Adopt a Stone from the South Wall

    The South Wall faces Interstate 66 and is where you enter the Mill.

    $25 Donation

    $25 Donation - Adopt a BLUE stone

    $100 Donation

    $100 Donation - Adopt a GREEN stone.

    $250 Donation

    $250 Donation - Adopt a YELLOW stone for $250.

    $500 Donation - Adopt a ORANGE stone for $500.

    $1,000 Donation - Adopt a RED stone for $1,000.

    Add paragraph text here.

    Adopt a Stone from the East Wall

    The East Wall overlooks the Prince William County side of the site.

    Add paragraph text here.

    $25 Donation - Adopt a BLUE stone

    $100 Donation - Adopt a GREEN stone.

    $250 Donation - Adopt a YELLOW stone for $250.

    $500 Donation - Adopt a ORANGE stone for $500.

    $1,000 Donation - Adopt a RED stone for $1,000.

    Contribute to a Commemorative Stone

    The following stones are reserved to commemorate people or events significant to the history of the Mill. Make a contribution toward one of one of these commemorative stones.

    Chapman Family

    The Chapman family established the Mill in 1742 and owned and operated the business until after the Civil War.

    Donations: $0

    Beverley Family

    The Beverley family rebuilt the Mill following the Civil War and restored it to its place as a major industrial hub.

    Donations: $0

    Furr Family

    The Furr family expanded the operations of the Mill complex in the 20th century.

     

    Donations: $0

    Contribute to a Memorial Stone

    Memorial contributions may be made below. All donations benefit the Chapman - Beverley Mill Historic Site.

    Shawn Donovan Memorial

    The Donovan family will selected stones E1112, E1113, and E1114 as a memorial to Shawn in August 2017.

    Shawn Donovan was born February 21, 1956 in Washington, D.C. He grew up and attended school in Vienna, Virginia and later moved to Warrenton, Virginia. A history buff and avid outdoorsman, Shawn spent much of his adult life hiking trails and exploring historical sites in Virginia. Chapman Mill was of specific importance to Shawn. He made frequent trips to the Mill both as a solo hiker and with his son, Michael. Shawn Donovan was the President of Donovan Builders, Inc. which constructed single-family homes in Fauquier County, VA. He served in the Navy and worked as a Naval contractor later in life. Shawn was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March 2016. He passed away on April 13, 2017. Shawn Donovan is survived by seven siblings and one son.

     

    Total Donations: $3,770.00

  • Donate

    The Turn the Mill Around Campaign is a 501(c)3 non-profit. All donations are tax deductible.